Food Train Friends is our award-winning befriending service providing regular trips out, home visits and telephone calls that bring fun, laughter, friendship and social contact to older people in need who live alone in Dumfries & Galloway. Our service aim is clear - to reduce loneliness and social isolation in local older people.
How does it work?
- Food Train Friends is an award-winning befriending service for local older people that works to national Quality in Befriending standards in the UK in Dumfries & Galloway.
- We can provide telephone contact, 1-2-1 home visits and/or organise regular group outings (usually monthly) following assessment of the customer.
- Our befriending volunteers provide an effective low level and informal social support service, but we do not provide personal care.
- We welcome complaints,ideas and suggestions to help us improve the service. Please contact the Head Office on 01387 270800 if you have any of these.
- Befriending services are provided at regular intervals to provide contact with our people and to ensure there is always a friendly face to talk to and enjoy a chat, perhaps over a cuppa.
Who can use Food Train Friends?
- Any older person (age 65+) living in our Friends service areas can enjoy the benefits of Food Train Friends membership subject to local service provision, capacity and volunteer availability. Due to limited resources and a growing demand for our service, priority is given to older people who live alone and independently in their own home and have minimal people contact and activities in their life.
Where do we operate in Dumfries and Galloway?
- Food Train Friends operates throughout the Dumfries and Galloway region.
How much does it cost?
- We ask members of Food Train Friends to pay a small annual membership fee of only £12 a year plus £1 Food Train membership. Total to pay - only £13pa.
- Group activities will have a small cost attached to it to cover associated costs such as refreshments,hall hires or transport/fuel. These are published in our branch events programmes, issued quarterly.
How to get in touch with us:
- You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01387 270800
- Nithsdale area office: Hestan Southwest,The Crichton, Bankend Road Dumfries, DG1 4TA.
- Annandale and Eskdale area office: 2-4 Bank Street, Annan, DG12 6AA.
- Telephone number: 01461 206586. Email: email@example.com
- Newton Stewart office: 83b Victoria Street, Newton Stewart, DG8 6NL.
- Telephone number: 01671 401 346. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stranraer area office: Burns House, Harbour St, Stranraer, DG9 7RD
- Tel: 01776 704831 Email: Alan@thefoodtrain.co.uk
- Stewartry area office: Carlingwark Cottage, The Buchan, Castle Douglas DG7 1TH
- Tel 01556 288427 Email: Shelley@thefoodtrain.co.uk or Isobel@thefoodtrain.co.uk
- Our office administrators are Margaret Wood and Steph Wield:
- Tel 01387 270800 Email: email@example.com
Customer Duncan enjoying a home visit and chat from his volunteer befriender Jimmy (left) before a wee game of dominoes!
Food Train Friends Dundee
How does it work?
- Food Train Friends is a befriending service for local older people.
- We can provide regular telephone contact, home visits and group outings/activities.
- Befriending volunteers provide an informal low level social support service where Food Train customers pay a small annual membership fee.We cannot provide personal care.
- The befriending service is always provided at regular intervals to ensure regular contact and to ensure there is always a friendly and safe face to talk to.
Who can use Food Train Friends in Dundee?
- Any older person in Dundee can enjoy the benefits of Food Train Friends membership.
How much does it cost?
- We ask members of Food Train Friends for an annual membership fee of £12 a year only plus, of course, £1 Food Train membership. Total to pay £13pa.
- Each group activity will have a small cost attached to it to cover associated costs such as refreshments,hall hires or transport.
How to get in touch
- Dundee Office: Suite 17 at 4-6 Staffa Place Dundee, DD2 3SX. Telephone number: 01382 810944. Email: Rhea@thefoodtrain.co.uk
- Food Train Friends Dundee is co-ordinated by our Dundee based Development Officer, Rhea Long.