Food Train Friends is a befriending service providing trips out, home visits and telephone calls, bringing some fun, laughter, friendship and social contact to older people in need who live in Dumfries & Galloway.
How does it work?
- Food Train Friends is an award-winning befriending service for local older people.
- We provide telephone contact, 1-2-1 home visits and organise group outings and activities.
- Befriending volunteers provide an informal social support service where Food Train customers pay an annual membership fee to enjoy the services available.
- Befriending services are provided at regular intervals to provide regular contact with our people and ensure there is always a friendly face to talk to and enjoy a cuppa with.
Who can use Food Train Friends?
- Any older person (age 65+) living in our Friends service areas can enjoy the benefits of Food Train Friends membership subject to service provision locally, capacity and volunteer availablity. Due to limited resources and a growing demand for our service, priority is given to those who live alone and independently in their own home.
Where do we operate in Dumfries and Galloway?
- Food Train Friends operates in Annandale & Eskdale, Dumfries, Mid & Upper Nithsdale and the Wigtownshire area and from early 2017, the Stewartry area also will also go live.
How much does it cost?
- We ask members of Food Train Friends to pay a small annual membership fee of only £12 a year plus £1 Food Train membership. Total to pay only £13pa. A discounted fee is available for couples - please enquire.
- Each group activity will have a small cost attached to it to cover associated costs such as refreshments,hall hires or transport/fuel.
How to get in touch with us:
- You can email us at: email@example.com or call 01387 279111 for info.
- Nithsdale area office: 30 Castle Street, Dumfries, DG1 1DU.
- Telephone number: 01387 279111. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Annandale and Eskdale area office: 2-4 Bank Street, Annan, DG12 6AA.
- Telephone number: 01461 206586. Email: email@example.com
- Newton Stewart office: WRDC 6-8 Queen Street, Newton Stewart, DG8 6JL. Telephone number: 01671 401 346. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stranraer area office: Burns House, Harbour St, Stranraer, DG9 7RD
- Tel: 01776 704831 Email: Ashley@thefoodtrain.co.uk
- Stewartry area office: Carlingwark Cottage, The Buchan, Castle Douglas DG7 1TH
- Tel 01556 288427 Email: Shelley@thefoodtrain.co.uk
- Our small staff team is led by Project Manager, Scott McGill
- Email email@example.com Tel:01387 265111
- Our Friends office administrator is Margaret Wood:
- Tel 01387 279111 Email: Margaret@thefoodtrain.co.uk
Customer Jean enjoying a home visit from her volunteer befriender Ann with a cuppa, a smile and a chat!
Food Train Friends Dundee
How does it work?
- Food Train Friends is a befriending service for local older people.
- We can provide telephone contacts, home visits and group outings and activities.
- Befriending volunteers provide an informal low level social support service where Food Train customers pay a small annual membership fee.We cannot provide personal care.
- The befriending service is always provided at regular intervals to ensure regular contact and to ensure there is always a friendly and safe face to talk to.
Who can use Food Train Friends in Dundee?
- Any older person in Dundee can enjoy the benefits of Food Train Friends membership.
How much does it cost?
- We ask members of Food Train Friends for an annual membership fee of £12 a year only plus, of course, £1 Food Train membership. Total to pay £13pa.
- Each group activity will have a small cost attached to it to cover associated costs such as refreshments,hall hires or transport.
How to get in touch
- Dundee Office: Office D, Market Mews, Market Street, Dundee, DD1 3NH. Telephone number: 01382 459202. Email: Rhea@thefoodtrain.co.uk
- Food Train Friends Dundee is led by our development officer Rhea Long.