Charity receives £200,000 in funding
Scottish Charity Food Train is full of festive cheer after being awarded £200,000 by players of People’s Postcode Lottery to help grow their vital services to older people across Scotland.
The award will be used to support older people living at home and will go towards growing The Food Train’s vitally important food access, meal sharing, befriending and home support services, reaching even more older people who are experiencing social isolation and hunger.
With one in ten older people lonely(1) and one in ten also malnourished(2), Food Train plays a critical role in supporting older people at their time of need, bringing much needed social contact, access to meals and regular food supplies. With over 1,000 volunteers already supporting 2,800 older members across Scotland, Food Train volunteers are set to bring even more practical help and friendship to our ageing population.
Michelle Carruthers MBE, CEO of Food Train said: “This amazing award will go such a long way towards our mission to help as many older people as possible to eat well, age well and live well independently in their own homes. In a time where preventable malnutrition and loneliness are on the increase and many older people are invisible in their own homes, this funding will help us reach out to the most vulnerable older people in our communities. Thank you so much to players of People’s Postcode Lottery for your support.”
Clara Govier, Head of Charities at People’s Postcode Lottery, said: “I am delighted that players of People’s Postcode Lottery are able to support The Food Train with this award and help them with their mission to support even more older people live independently at home.”
People’s Postcode Lottery is a subscription based lottery where players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes whilst raising money for charities like The Food Train. A minimum of 31% goes directly to good causes and players have raised over £250 Million for charities across Great Britain and internationally.
Food Train was founded 22 years in Dumfries by older people for older people. Starting with 5 food shopping deliveries back in June 1995 the charity now provides 45,000 food shopping deliveries per year, over 12,000 hours of befriending, over 4000 meals shared with the most vulnerable older people and provides over 1000 household support jobs a year. Working across 8 regions of Scotland the small staff team works alongside over 1000 volunteers to support and help older people most in need.
Registered Address: Hestan Southwest, Bankend Road, Dumfries, DG1 4TA Tel:01387 270800
People’s Postcode Lottery
- People’s Postcode Lottery is a charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes, while raising money for charities and good causes across Great Britain and globally
- A minimum of 31% goes directly to charities and players have raised over £250 million for good causes across the country
- £10 for 10 draws paid monthly in advance with prizes every day. For further prize information visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/prizes
- Maximum amount a single ticket can win is 10% of the draw revenue to a maximum of £400,000
- Players can sign up by Direct Debit, credit card or PayPal online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under licences number: 000-000829-N-102511-014 and Number: 000-000829-R-102513-013. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR
- People's Postcode Lottery manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different charities. For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society